Another Kompression Utility
aKu – yes the K stands also for KDE application – is a rar – the compression command line utility – GUI. With aKu you can decompress rar files and create new archives in a very simple way. It is developed by Alessandro Diaferia and Francesco Grieco.
a sample archive opened with images preview enabled
aKu is a KDE application, so if you can compile it on Windows or MacOSX, and if it works, please send us the binaries.
If you like it, please provide us feedbacks and bug reports.
- Support of rar and unrar
- Creation of new archives in a very simple way
- Advanced rar extraction options
- Adding files or directory to existing archives
- Deleting and renaming files archives
- Preview support
- Password – opening and creation of archives with header or files password
- Comment – visualization and creation
- Locked archive – opening and creation
- A beautiful preview metabar for images
Features not yet supported
- Split archive – opening and creation
- Drag and drop from the main window
- Brute force attack for password archives :=)
- Rar or Unrar binaries – with unrar a lot of options are, of course, disabled
- KDE 4.1.x
Known bugs and Issues
- Full extracting of big size archives with many files is very slow (hard work in progress for it in these days!!!)
- Columns ordering for size and packed is not correct